These resources are organized around the Five Dimensions of a disciple’s life as found in the DDA.
1. Spiritual Formation: Loving God with all our being.
2. Personal Wholeness: Being emotionally healthy.
3. Healthy Relationships: Loving our neighbors as ourselves.
4. Vocational Clarity: Having a clear sense of personal purpose.
5. Economics and Work: Understanding our service to God at home, at work and in our community.
Being people of character, competence, and capacity is vital as we seek God’s kingdom in all arenas of life. The following lists are exemplary, not exhaustive, and each book contains for resources as we commit to maturity.
For spiritual formation (loving God with all our being)
- Augustine, Confessions
- Thomas A’Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
- Martin Luther, The Freedom of the Christian
- Richard Foster, Celebration of Discipline and Streams of Living Water
- Dallas Willard, The Divine Conspiracy and The Spirit of the Disciplines
- Jack Hayford, Prayer is Invading the Impossible
- Fee and Stuart, How To Read The Bible For All It’s Worth
- Arthur Wallis, God’s Chosen Fast
For personal wholeness
- Peter Scazzero, The Emotionally Healthy Church and Emotionally Healthy Spirituality
- J. Swoboda, The Subversive Sabbath
- Henry Cloud, Changes that Heal
- Louis Husser, Forgiving Others: The Key to Healing Deep Wounds of Your Past
- Jason Wilson, Cry Like a Man; Stephen Arterburn, Every Man’s Battle
- Shannon Ethridge, Every Woman’s Battle; Geri Scazzero, The Emotionally Healthy Woman: Eight Things You Have to Quit to Change Your Life
- Max Lucado, Unshakable Hope: Building our Lives on the Promises of God
For healthy relationships
- John Perkins: One Blood: Parting Words to the Church on Race and Love
- Irwin Ince, The Beautiful Community
- Tara Beth Leach, Emboldened: A Vision for Empowering Women in Ministry
- Gary Chapman, The 5 Love Languages
- Alan Loy McGinnis, The Friendship Factor
- Cloud and Townsend, Boundaries
- Craig and Amy Groeschel, From This Day Forward: Five Commitments to Fail Proof Your Marriage
- Strachan, Platt & Castleberry, Whole in Christ: A Biblical Approach to Singleness
For vocational clarity
- Os Guinness, The Call
- Tim Keller, Every Good Endeavor
- Don and Katie Fortune, Discovering your God-Given Gifts
- Joseph Castleberry, Your Deepest Dream
- Gene Veith, God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life
- Steve Garber: Visions of Vocation: Common Grace for the Common Good
- Amy Sherman, Kingdom Calling: Vocational Stewardship for the Common Good
For economic wisdom and work
- Tom Nelson, Work Matters and The Economics of Neighborly Love
- The Oikonomia Network, A Vision of Flourishing Communities
- Charlie Self, Flourishing Churches and Communities
- Brian Fikkert and Steve Corbett, When Helping Hurts; Brian Fikkert, Becoming Whole
- Rhodes, Holt & Fikkert, Practicing the King’s Economy
- Amy Sherman, Kingdom Calling
- Ron Blue, Master Your Money